(KLTV/KTRE) - This recipe's simplicity is what makes it so versatile and perfect for any of your late summer activities, from picnics and pool parties to the first day of school.
Shalene McNeill with the Texas Beef Council shares the simple, incredibly flavorful recipe!
Mediterranean Beef Pitas with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce
* 1-1/2 pounds top round steak, cut 1 inch thick
* 1-1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek or regular yogurt
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 medium cucumber
* Salt and pepper
* 6 white or whole wheat pitas
* 3/4 cup plain or seasoned hummus
* 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered or 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
* 1/3 cup halved Kalamata olives
* 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
1. Combine yogurt, lemon juice and garlic in medium bowl. Place beef steak and 3/4 cup yogurt mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
2. Meanwhile, cut cucumber in half lengthwise; cut one half crosswise into 1/4-inch slices and reserve. Chop remaining cucumber half into 1/4-inch pieces. Add chopped cucumber to remaining yogurt mixture; season with salt, as desired. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack of broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once. (Do not overcook.) Carve steak into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.