NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - A man suffered severe burns after he allegedly set himself and several trash cans on fire at a Nacogdoches convenience store early Tuesday morning.
According to the Nacogdoches Police Department activity report, the incident occurred at Nick’s No. 7, which is located at 2601 Douglass Road at about 1:45 a.m. Tuesday.
Sgt. Brett Ayres, a spokesman for the Nacogdoches Police Department, said that NPD officers responded to a 911 call about a man setting himself and trashcans on fire. He added that the man used gasoline to set the fires.
Nacogdoches PD officers arrived on the scene first, and they used fire extinguishers to put out the fires, Ayres said. The man was taken into custody and then transported to a Nacogdoches hospital for treatment of “severe burns.”
The Nacogdoches Fire Department arrived on the scene to assist a short time after the PD officers got there, Ayres said.
Later, the man was transferred to another hospital, Ayres said.
Ayres said they are unable to release the man’s name at this time because it is still an open investigation, and an arson charge may be pending.