HUNTINGTON, TX (KTRE) - A Huntington woman was at work when she got devastating news.
“So, I grabbed my purse and ran out the door and radioed my boss to clock me out because my house was burning down,” said Shirley Slaughter, home-owner.
Slaughter was at work when she received the devastating news about her home being on fire.
According to the Huntington Fire Department, Slaughter left a heat lamp on in the back of the trailer which was the cause of the fire and destroyed everything in her home.
“Right now, just pretty much things are stored in my vehicle because the places I stay actually don’t have room for me to put clothes. So, I usually stay at my mom’s or I’ll end up staying at one of my daughters,'” said Slaughter.
Slaughter’s nephew and granddaughter both lived with her, but they were not home when the fire occurred.
Family and friends created a GoFundMe account and have set up a benefit fundraiser to help her get back on her feet since she didn’t have any insurance.
“My grandma has always been here for my whole family, and she just does everything that she can for us, and I just wanted to do something for her to help her out,” said Justice Matthews, Slaughter’s granddaughter.
“I know one thing about her is that she doesn’t like to ask for help. She will do it all on her own, so it was important to me that we come together and make sure that she did get the help that she needed to get back on her feet,” said Tiffany Burns, the benefit organizer.
As for Slaughter, she said she is blessed to be alive and thankful for all of the love and support she has received so far.
“I was just overwhelmed, and I want to thank the community and schools and everyone who has helped me out and donated. But I still need help, I still need to have this benefit and get enough money to get another home," she said.
A benefit auction will be held on Saturday, February 16 at 5 p.m. at Life Church, which is located at 305 US HWY 69 Huntington, TX 75949.