Nobody injured in accidental gas ignition at Lufkin Industries - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Nobody injured in accidental gas ignition at Lufkin Industries

By Jeff Awtrey - email

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A small gas ignition near the heat treat area at Lufkin Industries caused an "explosive sound" but did not injure anyone Tuesday, according to an official.

Paul Perez, vice president of Lufkin Industries, said an employee was attempting to light a furnace when a pocket of gas ignited and caused the furnace door to fall off.

"Obviously this wasn't supposed to happen," Perez said. "And we're taking a total review of what took place."

Perez said the company strives for a very safe working environment. He said it is unclear how much damage was done to the furnace.

Powered by Frankly