LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Prinicipal Mark Smith is praising his staff for its handling of a rumored threat on Friday. Students started calling and texting home after a rumor spread of a possible shooting at the school. Some parents criticized the school administration for lack of communication.
Smith said although a lot of students left, school was never officially dismissed, nor will it ever be let out for rumors. He said he cannot stop parents from picking up their children.
As for communication with parents, he said they addressed the calls as they came in, assuring parents they were still having school. He said there is no way to notify parents ahead of time. As for lessons learned, he said they shifted manpower to the front office and it helped with their response time.
Police said the rumor took on a life of its own, making it hard to track it down. They were able to make a connection between the rumor and a drive-by shooting on North Raguet earlier in the week, however, the Lufkin High School threat was unsubstantiated.