Lufkin High School Principal Roy Knight responded to our survey:
1. Does your school have a severe weather plan? Yes. We have an emergency management plan that calls for both sheltering in place for such events as tornados, wild animals, wild kids, shooters in the building, etc....
2. Does your school have a severe weather plan for its buses? Our campus coordinates any emergency evacuation with our transportation dept.
3. Does your school have designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning? Yes. Depends on the time of day and student locations. Most are sheltered in the classrooms.
4. How often are tornado drills practiced at your school each school year? We have " Shelter in Place" drills (3 per year), not just tornado drills.
5. How do you receive weather information such as tornado warnings? We access weather info via the internet weather sites and use the National Weather Radio alert system.
6. Does your school have and use a NOAA Weather Radio with battery back-up? (No response was given to this question. However, the answer to question #5 indicates that the school has a NOAA Weather Radio.)
7. What areas do you think your school can improve upon in your severe weather plan? The only way to improve on our preparedness would be to experience an actual tornado and learn from that experience. HOWEVER, that certainly is not our wish!