Coston Elementary Principal Pablo Torres responded to our survey:
1. Does your school have a severe weather plan? Yes. It is referred to as Shelter in place on our crisis Plan.
2. Does your school have a severe weather plan for its buses? This is addressed in training sessions for drivers. Like any motorist, drivers are advised to seek shelter for the students. Ex. Go to the nearest church or building that provides safety.
3. Does your school have designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning? Tornado drills provide practice and awareness of safe areas in the classroom and on campus in case of tornado.
4. How often are tornado drills practiced at your school each school year? Two or more times a year during high risk periods.
5. How do you receive weather information such as tornado warnings? NOAA weather radio, computer weather sites, etc
6. Does your school have and use a NOAA Weather Radio with battery back-up? Yes
7. What areas do you think your school can improve upon in your severe weather plan? Probably in the medical response area.
School website: http://www.lufkinisd.org/Coston/index.html