LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - The heat is on as the race for the Temple Cup got underway Friday morning in Lufkin.
It's day one of a three day tournament that draws some of the most talented amateur golfers in the nation. Golfers started turning in their scorecards Friday afternoon and some players said they are hoping tomorrow is a little better.
"We're hoping we have a chance to win come Sunday," said Competitor Mike Healer.
"Golf course was fine, greens putting good, but you got to hit a lot of good golf shots out here, pretty demanding, demanding golf course," said Competitor Don Gafner.
The golfers tee off again Saturday for the second round at 8 a.m. and the public is welcome to come out and watch.
At the end of day one the following are the top teams on the leader board:
1. -8 John Shipley & Randy Lance
2. -6 Trey Coker & Jeff Calloway
2. -6 David Leachman & Artie Starrs
4. -5 Keith McKelvy & Les Ledingham
5. -4 Larry Seligmann & Trevor Sauntray
5. -4 Shawn Dinwiddie & Brian Anderson
5. -4 John Beatty & Kurt Devlin