Hudson Middle School Principal Stan Tupman responded to our survey.
1. Does your school have a severe weather plan? Yes. We have a disaster preparedness plan and severe weather is included.
2. Does your school have a severe weather plan for its buses? Yes. It would be part of the disaster plan. However, in cases like tornadoes they would only be used if necessary after the passing of the storm.
3. Does your school have designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning? We have designated buildings that are considered as the safest buildings. We don't have a specific building that is constructed for that purpose. We mainly don't use open sided buildings, the cafeteria or gyms since they are considered less safe than other buildings.
4. How often are tornado drills practiced at your school each school year? Our tornado drills are in addition to our fire drills. We have fire drills monthly and 2-3 tornado drills per semester. One of these drills is coordinated throughout the district and tied in to a radio annoucement for bad weather from our administration office.
5. How do you receive weather information such as tornado warnings? There is a designated person in the administration who gets that information by staying tuned to the NOAA weather reports and relays that information to the campuses.
6. Does your school have and use a NOAA Weather Radio with battery back-up? Yes