Martinsville Elementary School Principal Lisa McKnight responded to our survey:
1. Does your school have a severe weather plan? Yes
2. Does your school have a severe weather plan for its buses? No
3. Does your school have designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning? Yes
4. How often are tornado drills practiced at your school each school year? We have a drill each month, sometimes for fire drills, sometimes severe weather drills, and some drills deal with other dangers such as an intruder on campus.
5. How do you receive weather information such as tornado warnings? TV and radio
6. Does your school have and use a NOAA Weather Radio with battery back-up? We do have a weather radio.
7. What areas do you think your scholl can improve upon in your severe weather plan? Our campus has many old structures and is spread out. Almost all the classrooms open to the outside so there is no interior hall to seek shelter in. We have designated places within classrooms. Without completely remodeling the school, I feel we are doing our best with what we have. We are open to suggestions, and we do have a safety committee that meets help foresee and solve safety issues.