San Augustine Elementary School Principal Maryann Bentley responded to our survey:
1. Does your school have a severe weather plan? Yes, our school has a severe weather plan.
2. Does your school have a severe weather plan for its buses? Yes, our School District has a school bus severe weather plan.
3. Does your school have designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning? Yes, our school has more than one designated shelter areas for students to go in case of a tornado warning.
4. How often are tornado drills practiced at your school each school year? We have tornado, fire etc. drills on a regular basis.
5. How do you receive weather information such as tornado warnings? We have a weather scanner we keep on as well as the National Weather Service on the Weather Channel.
6. Does your school have and use a NOAA Weather Radio with battery back-up? Yes, but sometimes we forget to put it on.
7. What areas do you think your scholl can improve upon in your severe weather plan? There is always room for improvement. Small children become very upset so trying to alleviate fears is always going to need work. Planning will make an evacuation easier, however, keeping calm is always difficult. Practice makes perfect.