JAMESTOWN, Texas (AP) - A house fire in Newton County claimed the life of a nearly century-old woman.
Sheriff Joe Walker says 99-year-old Hattie Cheatham died Friday in the blaze at her home in the Jamestown area.
Walker says the cause of the fire is sought. The sheriff says he believes the fire could be linked to efforts by the victim to try to stay warm during freezing weather Friday.
The sheriff told KFDM-TV that a propane apparently had been used to heat the house and a tank was located outside.