LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Reverend Bettie Kennedy is used to giving, with no thought of receiving anything in return. Friday night, the community honored her for dedicating years of service.
The following are excerpts from the service:
"She is known as "Mama" to the people on the streets of Lufkin. Rev. Kennedy seeks those in need, giving food, clothing, and help where ever she can.
Through singing and prayer, Rev. Kennedy started ministry in the areas of town commonly referred to as "The Front," "Shot Gun Hill," and "The Projects." Most ministry took place after dark regardless of inclement weather. She went into these places and served food and offered prayers.
There are those who say she is a brave person. God has truly taken care of her. This mother, grandmother, teacher, writer, and poet is accomplished in providing help to all she encounters and has made a better community for all of us in which to live.
Rev. Kennedy has touched countless lives and continues to lead and inspire others."
- 1931 Birth
- 1934 Adopted
- 1945 Moved to Los Angeles, California
- 1946 Death of her father, Will
- 1947 Queen of Homemaking
- 1948 Statewide 1st Place Quartet
- 1949 Graduated from Dunbar High School
- 1953 Graduated from Prairie View Class of '53
- 1954 Teacher of Deaf in Austin, TX
- 1955 First of 7 children born
- 2001 Save the Transit System District-State
- 2002 Inducted into Dunbar Hall of Honor
- 2003 Received Citizens Chamber Pinnacle Award
- 2005 Diboll History Center
- 2006 Ministry of the Heart
- 2007 Received Lufkin Jewelry Award
- 2008 Preservation of Our History
- 2010 Appreciation Dinner January 15, 2010
Awards & Certificates:
- Transit System
- Community Action
- Long Chapel
- Community Service Collins Chapel
- CCA Working for a Better Community
- Support the School
- Concerned Citizen of Lufkin
- Paul Harris Fellow-Rotary International
- Citizen Chamber Pinnacle Award
- Don't Mess with Texas
- Diboll History Center Recognition
- U.S. Forestry Award
- Outstanding Citizen Black History
- American Cancer Society President