News Conference reveals more about suspect in pipe bomb incidents

Larry North. Photo Source: Smith County
Larry North. Photo Source: Smith County

TYLER, TX (Raycom News Network) – New details are being revealed today as the investigation of 52-year old Larry Gene North, the man arrested and being held in connection with a series of pipe bombs that were placed across East Texas, continues.

Officers called North's suspected actions, nothing short of "domestic terrorism" and said, "that stops today."  Referring to him as a "predator on the community" investigators said the suspected motive was North's dislike for the U.S. government as indicated on some of the devices they recovered.  They also said another possible motive involved North possibly being defrauded of money years ago that he had received from a lawsuit.

Investigators reminded everyone that North had been indicted and that an indictment "is not a conviction.  He's innocent until proven guilty.  There are some specifics we're not able to go into because the investigation is ongoing."

Investigators said 36 devices had been recovered beginning February 5 through yesterday (Wednesday) and it was fortunate that no one had been hurt.

KTRE will have continuing coverage on this story here at and on KTRE's East Texas News.

Fifty-two-year old Larry Gene North is being held without bond.  He's the suspect in a string of pipe bomb cases East Texas including post offices and mail boxes.  East Texas news cameras were there as North who uses a wheelchair was taken from the U.S. Attorney's office, where he had been detained for most of the Wednesday afternoon.

Court documents filed Wednesday show a Larry Gene North was indicted by a federal grand jury on a charge of possession of an illegal firearm or destructive device. The device was a pipe bomb, according to the documents.

A U.S. Attorney spokesman said the person was someone they had been "watching for a while."  The devices were put in blue U.S. Postal Service collection boxes in five Texas counties.

Last month, the ATF offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for placing suspicious devices throughout East Texas.

The charge is punishable upon conviction by up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000, according to court documents.

During the news conference, investigators said there was other incriminating evidence found in North's house on Wednesday.  They said they believed all of the devices are accounted for and believed no other devices are "out there."

The surveillance and investigation involved a collection of agencies, federal, state and local including the ATF, U.S. Postal Inspectal Service, FBI, Texas Rangers, several area sheriff's, police and district attorney offices, and Garland Bomb Squad.  Several of the federal agents who worked on the church fires arson investigation earlier this year had returned to East Texas to help with this case.

©2010 Raycom News Network. Some CNN content was used in this story. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.