LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - An arrest warrant of a Lufkin man shows he was living at the North Lufkin home he burned down in March.
The warrant, which KTRE received through and Open Records Request, stated Timothy Thompson, 25, told firefighters that the fire probably started in the child's bedroom, with a faulty socket being the cause. But witnesses interviewed by fire officials claimed they saw Thompson start the fire by setting a pile of clothing on fire in the hallway.
Another witness told fire officials they heard Thompson speaking to his mother by speakerphone, telling her, "if it wasn't for my kids he would burn the [expletive] house down." Shortly after that, she heard smoke alarms, then she saw Thompson walking from the back side of the residence, located on Keltys Street, about 10 seconds after she saw the fire.
The warrant states Fire Marshal LeeFran Skelton and Assistant Fire Marshal Steve McCool investigated the scene and observed furniture in disarray, uncharred glass found on the ground outside the house. Window screens found on the yard indicated that the windows had been broken out prior to the fire.