There is usually no pain. No symptoms. Seldom any change in vision. At first. Blindness caused by diabetic eye disease and glaucoma strikes thousands of Texans every year without any warning at all. But there is something that you can do to help prevent blindness caused by these diseases... Get an annual eye exam.
If you answer yes to any of these questions, please see an eye care professional.
- You are age 45 or older.
- You have diabetes.
- You are African American and over age 40.
- You are Hispanic.
- You have high blood sugar.
- You are more than 20% over your ideal weight.
- You get limited physical exercise.
- Other family members have diabetes.
- Other family members have glaucoma.