Electrical fire burns Hudson house - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Electrical fire burns Hudson house


By Whitney Grunder - email

HUDSON, TX (KTRE) - A Hudson man says an electrical problem is to blame for a fire which destroyed a home in which he and his family of five lived in.

Tony Yarbrough, 36, said he woke up around 6 a.m. Wednesday when the power went off at his house on FM 706, about a half-mile from State Highway 94. He said he made a call to Oncor and a representative said someone would check on the problem around 8 a.m.

It was around 8 a.m. that Yarbrough said his landlord took a look at the electric meter and said it "looked serious." Yarbrough said he made an emergency call to Oncor.

He and his family then went to a store and when they returned, firefighters were at the scene trying to extinguish his fire, which was fully engulfed.

Hudson volunteer firefighter Chris Smith said it took firefighters from Hudson and several other volunteer fire departments about 2.5 hours to get the fire out of control and that it destroyed the back half of the house.

Yarbrough said he did not think anything from the fire could be salvaged, but firefighters had the presence of mind to save some photographs. He said he did not purchase renter's insurance.

"It's a devastating event to lose everything that you have. My kids are safe, my wife is safe. You know, that's the best that we could hope for," said Yarbrough. "It was just too little too late. They [Oncor] actually drove up while the fire department was here putting out the fire and they did what they did, they cut the power to the house and they left. So, yeah, I feel like they let us down."

Oncor spokesman David Collier said records showed the company only received one call, around 6 a.m., but no records showed a promise of someone answering the call at 8 a.m. No emergency calls showed on his records, he said.

©2010 KTRE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly