CADDO LAKE, LA (Raycom News Network) – Fireworks are one of the most treasured traditions of the Fourth of July, but they can also be very dangerous.
One Shreveport man found out just how dangerous after an accident left him hospitalized in serious condition.
Chris Balentine was cooking out with family and friends when he heard an explosion. He looked and saw his friend, Kirk Harris, on the ground. "He had a mortar shell and he stuck it in backwards and it backfired on him," Balentine said.
Bystanders ran into Martha Walker's home. "Came running in, screaming he blew his hands off, he blew his hands off. It scared me so bad."
While waiting for the ambulance, Balentine had to do something he described as traumatizing. "Tried to pick up what fingers I could find and put them in plastic bag with ice, and I gave them to the EMT guys and just said a prayer for him."
Emergency Medical Service took Harris to LSU Hospital where doctors brought him into surgery to treat his injuries. Injuries that will have a lasting effect on his life. "It did blow out part of his colon, he's on a respirator, and it took a number of fingers from his right hand and his left hand."
A reminder of how dangerous the beautiful light displays can be. "This one was like a grenade. I think some of these fireworks are so dangerous that they need to be banned from even being sold." And, what can happen if you're not careful.
Stay with KTRE.com for the latest on his condition.
©2010 KTRE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
On Wednesday morning, the Lufkin Police Department confirmed that the 3-year-old girl found in the bottom of a motel pool Tuesday afternoon died at Texas Children's Hospital.More >>
The world's only male northern white rhino died, earlier this week, after falling ill, leading many to question the future of the species with only two females left. But, staff at the Ellen Trout Zoo hope that the animals can make a comeback.More >>
Selling homes and belongings to live a minimalistic lifestyle is generally the first step taken by many host families at state and national parks across the nation.More >>
The Jack in the Box located in the 1900 block of West Frank Avenue suffered damage when police say someone accidentally drove through the restaurant's front door.More >>
We are investigating an incident in which a 3-year-old girl was found at the bottom of the Motel 6 pool earlier this afternoon on South Timberland Drive.More >>