Groveton preacher's house suffers heavy damage in fire

David Horace
David Horace

ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - By Morgan Thomas - email and Whitney Grunder - email

ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - An electric problem is to blame for a fire on the 4600 block of State Highway 103 West which caused heavy damage to a Groveton preacher's home.

It only took fire fighters 20 minutes to put out the fire but by that point the kitchen and dining room were destroyed.

From the outside of David Horace's home, nothing looks out of place.

Take one step inside and you realize it's a charred mess.

"Everything in the kitchen and my den area and my dining area, that's pretty much lost," said Horace.

Flames gutted the inside of David's home, while he was still inside.

"I was getting through watching a ballgame. My grandson had gone to sleep, my wife was at work."

The piercing squeal of smoke detectors grabbed his attention.

"I got up and went to the kitchen and the kitchen was engulfed in flames."

Right now, he says his mind is far from what was left behind.

"These are material things, things that can be replaced, you can't never replace a life."

David tells me he's the pastor of Baldwin Chapel Baptist Church. Through his work he's learned to embrace life's struggles.

"I think about the things God has brought us through and he's able to continue to bring us through this."

Heavy water and smoke damage is found throughout the Horace's 3-bedroom home.

David's not sure how much can be saved. Already they've salvaged some pictures and other memories.

"It's going to be okay."

This loss couldn't come at a harder time for their family. David's brother in-law died Sunday. His funeral is Saturday.

"It just makes us stronger for the trials ahead."

These trials are what they say will bring their family closer to God.

Hudson Volunteer Fire Chief Chris Smith said the fire started from a wiring problem.

The Horace's are staying in a hotel until they make other arrangements.

Copyright 2010 KTRE. All rights reserved.