Space heater suspected cause of Fairview Drive fire

ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - ANGELINA COUNTY, Texas (KTRE) - A fire which destroyed the home of a family of six in a fire south of Lufkin on Monday is believed to have been caused by a space heater.

Fuller Springs Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Bobby Cranford said investigators believe the fire started in a front bedroom of the house and there was a space heater in that bedroom. While they suspect the heater started the fire, they have not ruled that as the official cause.

Firefighters with Diboll, Fuller Springs and Moffett responded to the fire on Nov. 15. The blaze destroyed the two-story home, but nobody was in it when it started.

Timothy Hamilton said he and his wife and four children had lived in the house for about two years.

Anyone wishing to make financial contributions to the family may make them to the Rebecca Grant account at Angelina Savings Bank.

Clothing and household donations may be dropped off at First Assembly of God Student Center.

For further information on donations, including clothes sizes for the family, contact Kathy Hamilton (no relation) at A Caring Touch Home Health at 936-632-9400.

The Chick-fil-A in Lufkin Mall will hold a "Spirit Night" for the Hamilton family from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Dec. 2. Chick-fil-A will donate 20 percent of the proceeds from anyone who dines there and says they are there in support of the family.

Copyright 2010 KTRE. All rights reserved.