NACOGDOCHES (KTRE) - For ten years customers have sniffed with pleasure in the candle shop of Ken and Mariann Douglas, the owners of AcScents Aromatics. "It brings joy to people," said Mariann.
However, for some candles are placed on the back burner during challenging economic times. "We've had a good Christmas. Not as good as we've wanted and not as good as it used to be," said Mariann. "Our wax was going up. Our fragrance was going up, so that's been a struggle. But we're okay."
Ok, but sad. In the last year, Ken lost three very close cousins to cancer. "With all of them having terminal cancer, it's a bad thing," said the quite spoken Douglas.
The Douglas' daughter, Kinnie Parker, a Relay For Life chair, found a way to celebrate their loved ones and help others battling cancer. AcScents Aromatics will donate all proceeds of select candles sold by Relay For Life participants to the Nacogdoches County Relay For Life.
"Those team members can sale the Relay candles, so find those people and go to www.relayforlife.org/nacogdochescotx and find out about the Nacogdoches team," explained Parker.
This provides a whiff of happiness for the American Cancer Society's East Texas region. "We have a transportation program that's taking patients to and from their treatment and that has significantly grown in the past two years," said staff member Leigh Ann Pyle. "It's actually doubled in the amount of money it takes."
Fortunately, AcScents Aromatics has the mold to providing some help. "Hopefully, in a small way we can do something to help somebody else," said Ken.
The 2011 Nacogdoches County Relay For Life isn't until March, but teams are forming now. For information on how to get involved or purchase candles for the cause just search on the web, Relay For Life Nacogdoches County. You can also call or go by Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital's Community Relations Department or AcScents Aromatics on Highway 59, several miles south of Nacogdoches.
©2010 KTRE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Jack in the Box located in the 1900 block of West Frank Avenue suffered damage when police say someone accidentally drove through the restaurant's front door.More >>
We are investigating an incident in which a 3-year-old girl was found at the bottom of the Motel 6 pool earlier this afternoon on South Timberland Drive.More >>
The number of bees across the nation are starting to decline, but commercial beekeepers in Deep East Texas are making it their duty to keep them alive.More >>
A new study from a Californian medical center detailed a specific warning sign for diabetes. It showed that poor, dental hygiene can lead to an increased risk for the disease, which we back up with a Lufkin dentist's experience.More >>
In the final plan, the Texas Education Agency is deploying what they call a strategic plan for special education. TEA posted their plans after federal officials found that the state had illegally placed a cap on services, in essence, denying some students with disabilities for years.More >>