Lufkin sex offender, mother, grandmother arrested for toddler's injuries

Jeremei Grimes mug shot courtesy of Angelina County Jail.
Jeremei Grimes mug shot courtesy of Angelina County Jail.
Belinda Teel mug shot courtesy of Angelina County Jail.
Belinda Teel mug shot courtesy of Angelina County Jail.
Lt. David Young, Lufkin Police Department
Lt. David Young, Lufkin Police Department

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - A Lufkin man and two Lufkin women were arrested Tuesday after police say the man, a registered sex offender, seriously injured a 15-month-old boy after the women allowed him into his care and did not report the injuries for three days.

"There's some serious lack of parenting skills here and a very, very serious lack of judgment," said Lt. David Young with the Lufkin Police Department.

Jeremei Trevance Grimes, 25, is charged with injury to a child and Belinda Teel, 44, and Lachyah Tiyuana Teel, 23, are charged with child endangerment.

A three-page arrest affidavit alleges several missteps Belinda Teel and Lachyah Teel, the child's mother and grandmother, made when they discovered the injuries and how Grimes lied about the injuries and about how he took the child for medical treatment.

According to the affidavit, the women allowed Grimes to take care of the child for a few hours on Jan. 6, even though they knew he is a registered sex offender. A few hours later, Grimes called the grandmother and told her the child was injured when he fell off a horse.

When the women saw the child again, they noticed injuries to the child's face and bruising from his neck to his pelvis.

"The grandmother and mother decided that they would not seek medical treatment because they thought Child Protective Services might intervene," said Young.

The injuries became worse until Jan. 9, when Grimes told the women he would take the child to see his aunt, who is a nurse. Grimes returned with the child and told the women his aunt said the child was fine and just needed Tylenol. The child had more injuries to his hands, which he did not have before Grimes had him the second time, according to the affidavit.

The grandmother then decided to take the child to the hospital, where he was admitted overnight. Doctors called Lufkin Police to the hospital who interviewed the suspects.

According to the affidavit, Grimes admitted to lying about the child falling off a horse and about taking him to his aunt, but would not admit to how the child was injured. He even walked out of the interview after further questioning.

The women were questioned about why they would allow a registered sex offender to take the child, when he had not dated the woman in more than a year, and they had already accused him of molesting the child's older sister.

Young said despite having a child together, Lachyah Teel only has a short history with Grimes.

"It's been several months or a year since they've seen each other and it was a bit odd and that was part of the endangering a child case-- that Grimes came and asked to watch this child when they still had no relationship," said Young.

The three were booked into the Angelina County Jail on Tuesday and CPS placed the child in the custody of other family members. Police spokesman Lt. David Young said the child's injuries should have no long-term lasting effects.

Grimes was convicted in 2004 of aggravated sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl. He moved to Lufkin in December of 2010, according to Texas sex offender registry records.

©2011 KTRE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.