Lufkin man falls asleep with cig, lights up motel mattress - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Lufkin man falls asleep with cig, lights up motel mattress

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - A Lufkin man living in a motel room caught his mattress on fire when he fell asleep with a lit cigarette Thursday afternoon, according to the Lufkin Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to Petty's Motel, located at 1112 N. Timberland Drive, at 12:50 p.m.

Fire Marshal LeeFran Skelton said Jethro Henderson Jr., 67, who had been living in the room for the past six months, lit a cigarette on his bed before falling asleep. He woke up to the smell of the smoke and saw that his mattress had caught fire and spread to the room.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within moments. The room suffered minimal damage.

Skelton said Henderson is lucky to be alive, as the smoke alarm did not sound because there were no batteries.

Copyright 2011 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly