Nacogdoches Co. woman who burned in wheelchair dies - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Nacogdoches Co. woman who burned in wheelchair dies

Family photo of Curlie Sparks. Family photo of Curlie Sparks.
GALVESTON, TX (KTRE) -

A Nacogdoches County woman who suffered serious burns when her dress caught fire while she was in a wheelchair died late last week from complications of the burns.

Curlie Sparks was 77.

Sparks' daughter said Sparks died on Friday at UTMB Burn Center in Galveston.

Sparks was burned in April when she was carrying coals from an inside woodburning stove, using a newspaper, to the front yard. While she was wheeling down the ramp in her wheelchair, the coals flared up and quickly caught her clothing on fire.

Sparks suffered from dementia. According to her family, she had a tendency to build fires outside her home.

Sparks is survived by her husband, 16 children and many grandchildren.

Copyright 2011 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly