Man previously cleared of child indecency arrested again - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

BREAKING NEWS

Former Nacogdoches man previously cleared of child indecency arrested again

Paul Motes mug shot courtesy of Nacogdoches County Jail. Paul Motes mug shot courtesy of Nacogdoches County Jail.
Motes at his arraignment Motes at his arraignment
Nacogdoches Co. A. D. A. Ryan Chambers Nacogdoches Co. A. D. A. Ryan Chambers
NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) -

A Wichita Falls man who was arrested in January after a neighbor said she caught him watching her daughter shower turned himself in on Saturday on a charge that he sexually assaulted a young girl.

Paul Brian Motes, 43, is charged with aggravated sexual assault of a child.

According to police, the latest arrest stems from an investigation into an allegation that Motes sexually assaulted a girl who is now 9. The incident is believed to have occurred in April 2010.

Motes resided in the Nacogdoches County Jail from January until June on an indecency with a child charge, after a woman said she caught Motes watching her daughter shower.

"At that time the facts that we had suggested that was what had happened," said Ryan Chambers, Nacogdoches Co. Assistant District Attorney.

Motes had been invited to the house to play video games.

In June, the Nacogdoches District Attorney's Office dropped the indecency charge and instead charged Motes with burglary, which Motes pleaded guilty to.

"Upon further investigation it was determined the case didn't meet the elements of indecency with a child," prosecuting attorney Ryan Chambers said.

He received five years probation on the burglary of a building charge.  However, on the new charge Motes may not have it so easy.

According to court documents, police say another girl, now age 9, was sexually assaulted by Motes in April 2010.

When a detective spoke with Motes last week, they say he denied the allegations.  However, within minutes of leaving the interview, documents say Motes called back, and allegedly admitted to most of the offenses.

The A. D.A. can't comment on the current case, but emphasizes these cases are a priority.

"Simply because of the nature of the offense and because you have a child involved.... It's a very difficult thing to go home and think about at night," said Chambers.

In an email statement concerning the first charge, Motes said he signed the plea agreement, despite considering himself innocent.

"My lawyer informed me that if I fight that charge, the DA could keep re-scheduling the trial indefinitely," Motes said. "This is not about justice, it's about convictions and revenue. If I had the money? I would have beat this charge."

Motes turned himself in to Nacogdoches Police on Saturday. His records show he now lives in Wichita Falls.

A bond had not been set on Motes as of 11 a.m. Monday.

Copyright 2011 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly