BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A woman and her four young children are homeless after a fire ripped through the house they were renting. It destroyed everything.
It happened Friday morning on Sycamore Street, near Plank Road. It is the second tragedy to hit the family this year.
The day before Thanksgiving, contractors were busy measuring the damage done to the gutted home on Sycamore Street. The homeowner is having a hard time dealing with the aftermath. But his tenant, Rosalind Williams, is torn apart. No one was inside when the house caught fire. But Williams is burning on the inside.
"Just being able to start all over is a big thing for me," Williams said.
That is because it was the second time this year Williams lost everything to fire. The house she was renting on Goodwood Boulevard caught fire in April. Williams was just starting to put her life back together.
"It's gonna take a hill to climb, but I'm willing to climb."
By the time she got back to the house on Sycamore, Williams was not able to save a thing.
"We have three outfits apiece and I'm washing and rewearing and washing and rewearing," Williams said.
Most of her children are too young to understand. But Williams said they are her rock.
"When I cry, they tell me everything is going to be okay."
Williams said they have taught her the true meaning of what is really important in her life.
"I'm thankful for what I do have, my kids. As long as me and the kids are okay then I can rebuild anything else."
Fire investigators say a child playing with a lighter sparked the fire on Goodwood Boulevard.
The blaze on Sycamore Street is still under investigation.