Fire call at Central school a false alarm

Students at Central Elementary were evacuated Friday morning after concerns of a fire in the cafeteria that just proved to be an air-conditioning problem.

According to administrative assistant Wanda Puckett, staff at the school called 911 at 7:25 a.m. after an air conditioner melted, causing smoke at the back of the cafeteria.

The children were bussed to the high school cafeteria while firefighters responded to the call.

Once the school received the all-clear, students were returned to the elementary school.

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.