HUDSON, TX (KTRE) - Hudson ISD is one of the more than 8,000 Texas classrooms growing beyond class size limits. Funding cuts to public schools are forcing campuses like Peavy Primary to exceed the standard.
"It kind of hit us hard this year. We didn't really expect the 60 new students to come in. And, that's, usually, we have 5 more students come in and grow each year," said Peavy Primary Principal, Tom Miller.
Seventeen Peavy classrooms began the year with 24 or more students. That's larger than the usual 22. Teachers, like Anna Noto, say it's important to adjust teaching methods to continue meeting the students' needs.
"You really have to differentiate in your classroom to make sure that every kid is getting what they need from their instructor. So, meeting in small groups with four or five children at a time gives them that one on one attention," said Peavy Primary first grade teacher, Anna Noto.
While class sizes may have gotten a little bit larger this year, Peavy Primary administrators say each student is still getting the individualized attention that he or she needs.
"We still feel like that we give our students good, quality education," said Miller.
To help, the school has also purchased handy new devices called the Front Row System. It's a classroom intercom, eliminating the problem of students not being able to hear the teacher.
"If they need to hear us, we need something to let them hear us without us shouting the sounds out over their voices," said Noto.
For now, the Texas Education Agency is allowing growing schools to avoid any sanctions from the state. But that's not stopping Peavy from treating class size as a priority.
Other East Texas schools exceeding class size limits include:
- Joaquin ISD has one over-sized 1 kindergarten class.
- Tenaha ISD has 6 over-sized classes in grades 2nd, 3rd, and kindergarten.
- Chireno ISD one over-sized kindergarten class.
- Hudson ISD 17 over-sized classes in grades 1st, 2nd, and kindergarten.
- Sabine ISD 7 over-sized classes in grades 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and kindergarten.
- Mt. Enterprise ISD has one over-sized 3rd grade class.
- Cold Springs-Oakhurst has 7 over-sized classes in grades 2nd and 3rd.