How do I download my information on Facebook?
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- In the upper right-hand corner of the page, click on the downward arrow to the right of the "Home" button.
- Click on "Account Settings."
- On your "General Account Settings" page, click on the "Download a copy of your Facebook data" text near the bottom of the list of settings.
- Click the green "Start my Archive" button.
- The process typically takes more than an hour. An email is supposed to be sent to the address associated with your account; however in newsroom tests reporters didn't get emails. Instead it's best to check the page again later in the day.
- When your data is ready to download, re-enter your password and click "Continue."
- Click the green "Download Archive" button.
Facebook is also offering an "expanded archive" to users. You can find a link to download that information in the text under the "Re-Enter Your Password" or "Start My Archive" box. The process is the same to obtain that information.
To open your archive, extract the files from the download onto your computer, then open the "index" file in a web browser.