Nacogdoches family working to reconstruct home after son’s near - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Nacogdoches family working to reconstruct home after son’s nearly fatal accident

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

This weekend friends and family hosted a "Bring Joel Home Benefit," in honor of Nacogdoches resident Joel Lloyd a man who beat the odds and survived the unthinkable.

"There's a 90% chance of mortality, which is death and 10% chance is more likely a vegetative state so we were preparing for him to not even wake up," said Linda Lawson, Joel's mom.

Linda Lawson calls her son a miracle in progress. Nearly two years ago he was in car accident that nearly ended his life.

"He went to pass a truck and another car was coming and Joel went to the ditch and ended up hitting a culvert and rolling his truck," said Randy Lawson, Joel's step-dad.

Lloyd's truck rolled an estimated seven times. He suffered a fractured neck, forearm and severe brain damage that left him in a coma.

"My son's always been stubborn he was born stubborn and always will be and I looked in his eyes and knew that he'd wake up," said Lawson.

 Six weeks later he did.

"It was the happiest day of my life, for him to say mom and I love you and I said I would be happy with that," said Lawson.

 Lloyd has found success in physical therapy and can return home but the family need to make a few adjustments to make the transition comfortable.

All benefit proceeds will be put towards construction cost for the home.

"We've got to replace the doors, the floors in order to use his lift, his electric wheel chair, we need wood floors because it doesn't roll on the carpet," said Lawson.

Home renovations are just the beginning; Lloyd's family believes he has a bright future ahead of him.

"I'm not giving up on him walking, he's going to walk," said Lawson.

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.

  • East Texas NewsMore>>

  • Restaurant Report: Nacogdoches 08/17/17

    Restaurant Report: Nacogdoches 08/17/17

    Thursday, August 17 2017 7:16 PM EDT2017-08-17 23:16:55 GMT

    Lucky Stop No. 1, Frog's, Cici's Pizza, Jack in the Box, KJ's Convenience Store, Morgan Oil Fuel Stop Deli and Grill, Nini's Fresh Donuts, Kroger Signature Fiids Deli and Bakery, Maklemore's Ale House and Bistro, Raising Cane's, Chili's Grill and Bar, Whataburger, Subway on South Street, and Pizza Hut on South Street.

    More >>

    Lucky Stop No. 1, Frog's, Cici's Pizza, Jack in the Box, KJ's Convenience Store, Morgan Oil Fuel Stop Deli and Grill, Nini's Fresh Donuts, Kroger Signature Foods Deli and Bakery, Maklemore's Ale House and Bistro, Raising Cane's, Chili's Grill and Bar, Whataburger, Subway on South Street, and Pizza Hut on South Street.

    More >>
  • Lufkin takes LLWS opener, 5-1

    Lufkin takes LLWS opener, 5-1

    Thursday, August 17 2017 10:08 PM EDT2017-08-18 02:08:20 GMT

    Lufkin made a tremendous debut in their first-ever trip to the Little League World Series in a 5-1 win over Michigan.

    More >>

    Lufkin made a tremendous debut in their first-ever trip to the Little League World Series in a 5-1 win over Michigan.

    More >>
  • TxDOT announces speed reduction approval for TX 7 East

    TxDOT announces speed reduction approval for TX 7 East

    TxDOT announces speed reduction approval for TX 7 East

    Thursday, August 17 2017 8:41 PM EDT2017-08-18 00:41:29 GMT
    Source: KTRE StaffSource: KTRE Staff

    The Texas Department of Transportation have completed their reevaluation of State Highway 7 East, and will approve a speed reduction for a portion of the roadway. 

    More >>

    The Texas Department of Transportation have completed their reevaluation of State Highway 7 East, and will approve a speed reduction for a portion of the roadway. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly