LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is planning night time work on the north near term diamond interchange construction project at U.S. 59/Loop 287 in Lufkin. Motorists should be prepared for traffic to be reduced to one lane with detours next week.
According to TxDOT, the lane reductions are required as crews install new drainage structures beneath U.S. 59 just north of Loop 287. Here is a look at traffic flow during the night time operations slated to begin at 8 p.m. each evening:
Monday, October 1:
- U.S. 59 northbound traffic reduced to one lane and shifted west, closer to the southbound lanes.
- U.S. 59 southbound traffic reduced to one lane.
- Warning signs will advise northbound motorists to slow down to 35 mph.
- Traffic will resume normal flow by 6 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Tuesday, October 2:
- U.S. 59 northbound traffic reduced to one lane.
- The U.S. 59 southbound reduced to one lane with temporary detour on FM 3439 (Spence Street) to Loop 287.
- Traffic will resume normal flow at 6 a.m. the following day.
The contractor will conduct similar closures on Wednesday and Thursday nights, October 3 and 4.
TxDOT reminds motorists to use caution when traveling through this and all work zones. Remember traffic fines double when workers are present. The Lufkin Police Department will assist with traffic control during these night time operations.