Sandy survivor Jim Pantaleno poses with flashlight and newspaper article about the storm
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -
A Staten Island, NY couple credits a small pocket flashlight they picked up at a Valley health fair in September for getting them through nine days without power following Superstorm Sandy.
Jim Pantaleno said the flashlight he obtained for free at a Scottsdale Healthcare booth at the emergency preparedness fair "was better than any of the bigger ones we had."
The Pantalenos had visited the Community Outreach Preparedness in Emergencies fair near Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, which was sponsored by Scottsdale Healthcare and the City of Scottsdale.
"It was one of life's little serendipitous moments," Pantalenos said. "Who knew it would be my beacon for nine days?"
Without power, the Pantalenos said they set up base in their kitchen, lighting their natural-gas stove for heat and placing candles on their kitchen table.
"Whenever we left our little base to go another room in the house, we used the little flashlight," Pantaleno said. "It cast a bright light and never conked out or needed batteries."
Pantaleno noted area stores were sold out of batteries on the first day after the hurricane.
There's more than 200,000 new outages in the Sandy-battered parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut in the wake of a nor'easter that brought winds and snow.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.