NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - One of the five men arrested for being involved in drive-by shooting in Nacogdoches in March received three years probation Friday morning.
Judge Campbell Cox II of Nacogdoches' 145th Judicial District Court issued the sentence to Eduardo Colin, who was 17 at the time of the incident. Colin and the other four suspects in the case were all charged with engaging in organized crime, which is a first-degree felony.
In addition to Colin, Nacogdoches County Sheriff's Office deputies also arrested Miguel Barrueta-Colin, Jonathan Diaz, Noah Morua Juarez, and Abraham Morua Juarez.
According to the report from the NCSo, the sheriff's office received a call about a drive-by shooting. Witnesses told deputies that a vehicle believed to be occupied by the suspects fled the scene. Law enforcement officers stopped the vehicle a short time later on County Road 2863 and the loop.
After the traffic stop, one of the men in the vehicle attempted to flee on foot. The deputy on the scene also noticed that a broom had been impaled in the driver's side door and windows had been knocked out.
Nacogdoches Sheriff Thomas Kerss said that another street gang, the Latin Kings, had reported that they were at a club in Nacogdoches and had an altercation with another alleged street gang.
The Latin Kings then went to a residence on County Road 521 to confront the other group of people that "they had problems with," according to Kerss.
Kerss said when the Latin kings got to the residence, about five members of the other group confronted them with aluminum baseball bats.
Neighbors also reportedly heard gunshots.