Dryer starts Lufkin house fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Dryer starts Lufkin house fire

Posted: Updated:
LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

Lufkin fire crews battled a house fire at a residence in the 700 block of Hoskins Avenue and prevented the flames from spreading to the rest of the home Sunday afternoon. The fire is believed to have started in a clothes dryer in a laundry room.

Six Lufkin Fire Department trucks and two ambulances responded to the blaze. Fire crews entered the home and contained the fire to the residence's kitchen and laundry room with fifteen minutes. They also vented the home to clear it of any remaining carbon monoxide.

According to a report from the Lufkin Fire Department, the tenant's daughter reported that she heard "popping sounds" coming from the laundry room just before the fire. When she went to check things out, she found smoke and fire in the laundry room.

"One of the common causes of a fire in a dryer is not removing the lent from the lent trap, or sometimes people will take the lent trap and remove it completely, or there may be holes in your lent trap and that will cause the tube that ventilates the dryer to fill up with lent," Lufkin Fire Marshal Steve McCool said. "And when that happens that can cause a fire."

Neighbors told fire crews that their lights dimmed several times as well. The home's resident, Sheila Olford, said she had been having problems with the light in the laundry room turning on like it was supposed to.

McCool said,"One of the signs of electrical issues is dimming lights. You may have noticed a light switch when you flip it on or off you have that arcing sound; that's something that needs to be addressed as well."

On-scene investigation revealed that the fire's origin was near the lower right corner of the laundry room, where the dryer's vent exited the building, the report stated. In addition, the report stated that the dryer's heaviest fire damage was on its right side.

Olford told firefighters that she had last used the dryer Saturday night.

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo

KTRE

358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
publicfile@ktre.com
936-853-8639
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.