Angelina Co. home gutted by late-night fire

HUNTINGTON, TX (KTRE) - The cause of a late-night fire that destroyed an Angelina County family's home Wednesday night is under investigation.

Flames broke out sometime before 11 p.m. on FM 328 in the Huntington area. First responders from Huntington and Central Volunteer Fire departments arrived to the house fully-engulfed.

The three-bedroom home is believed to be a total loss; with the roof, ceilings, and some flooring completely gone.

Central firefighter Robert Lowrey said house was made of cedar, which burns hot and fast.

No injuries were reported.

Crews remained on the scene until after 1 a.m. Thursday, working to extinguish the blaze.

Jerry LaSalle, the chief of the Huntington Volunteer Fire Department, said the fire started in the home's fireplace. The family told the 911 dispatcher that when they went to light a fire in the fireplace, the chimney caught on fire.

Initially, the family called the Lufkin Fire Department, and the call was transferred to the Huntington Volunteer Fire Department. LaSalle said the family was not home when HVFD crews responded to the blaze.

Other than a few pieces of furniture and some clothes, LaSalle said the home, which was owned by Rachel Landers, was a total loss.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved