FBI seeking information about 'travels, activities' of dead serial killer arrested in Lufkin

Samantha Koenig (Source: Koenig family)
Samantha Koenig (Source: Koenig family)
2011 Kia Soul (Source: FBI)
2011 Kia Soul (Source: FBI)
2011 Kia Soul (Source: FBI)
2011 Kia Soul (Source: FBI)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Agents with the FBI are seeking the public's assistance in gathering information about the "travels and activities" of serial killer Israel Keyes, who committed suicide in his Anchorage, AK jail cell on December 2, 2012. Keyes was arrested in Lufkin in March 2012.

In addition to 18-year-old coffee barista Samantha Koenig, Keyes also confessed to killing at least seven more people after he was arrested in the parking lot of Lufkin's Cotton Patch restaurant.

"Based on upon investigation conducted following [Keyes'] arrest in Texas in March 2012, Israel Keyes is believed to have committed multiple kidnappings and murders across the United States between 2001 and March of 2012," a press release from the FBI stated.

Law enforcement officials believe that Keyes traveled through various cities in the Dallas-Fort Worth and the Glenrose areas during February of 2012. Before he committed suicide while he was in jail, Keyes admitted to traveling through the cities of Azle, Aledo, and Cleburne, Texas during February 2012. In addition, investigators believe Keyes visited the Post Oak Cemetery in Glenrose during that period.

"Investigators suspect Keyes' rental vehicles became stuck in a muddy, rural area, possibly near Cleburne, Texas between February 12 and 16, 2012," the press release said.

Investigators are looking for anyone that might have helped Keyes or come in contact with him during that period. In that time frame, he is believed to have been driving a rented, blue 2011 Kia Soul with license plate CN8 M857. If anyone has any information, he or she should call the FBI's hotline at 1-800-CALL-FBI.

In early 2012, Keyes abducted Koenig from a coffee stand in Anchorage, Alaska, and a security camera captured it. Sometime after that, Koenig was sexually assaulted and strangled. The FBI's investigation revealed that Keyes left her body in a shed for two weeks while he went on a cruise.

"He knew all along he was going to kill her," Anchorage homicide Detective Monique Doll said.

Then, when Keyes returned from his cruise, he posed Koenig's body to make it look like she was still alive. He took a Polaroid picture of her with a newspaper dated Feb 13, which was 12 days after Koenig was abducted. Keyes later typed a ransom note demanding $30,000 from Koenig's family on the back of a photocopy of the photo and sent a text message to the woman's boyfriend on her cell phone with directions where he'd left the note at a local dog park.

Police said Keyes removed the battery from Koenig's cell phone to avoid being tracked by the authorities.

Authorities said Keyes traveled extensively in the U.S., landing at one location and targeting victims randomly hundreds of miles away. He had never seen Koenig before, but chose the coffee stand because of its location and because it stayed open later than other stands

Keyes told authorities he robbed several banks and used money he made as a general contractor to pay for his travel.

In the Koenig case, he stuck to his own town.

"He broke his own rule," Doll said.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press and KTRE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.