Lufkin PD: 2 women found at local motel with 2.8 grams of crack

Tracey Bryant (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Tracey Bryant (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Stephanie Nash (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Stephanie Nash (Source: Angelina County Jail)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin Police officers arrested two women for manufacture or delivery of a controlled substance after a search of their motel room allegedly revealed 2.8 grams of crack cocaine early Thursday morning.

Tracey Marie Bryant, 38, and Stephanie Lynn Nash, 42, both of Lufkin, are still being held in the Angelina County Jail on second-degree felony charges of manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance between 1 and 4 grams. Bryant also had a capias pro fine warrant for driving with an invalid license. Bond has been set at $15,000 each for the drug charges.

Both women have had previous run-ins with the law and numerous felony convictions.

According to the police report, LPD officers were dispatched to the Sun N' Pines Motel located at 208 S. Timberland at 1:36 a.m. Thursday. When they searched the women's motel room, the officers allegedly found 2.8 grams of an "off-white rock-like substance." Field tests showed that the rock-like substance contained cocaine.

After being arrested at the scene, both women were transported to the Angelina County Jail.

Angelina County Jail records indicate that Nash has felony convictions for crimes like theft and injury to a child. In addition, Bryant has been convicted numerous convictions for possession of a controlled substance.

In Dec. 2012, a child abandonment charge against Nash was dismissed in a non-jury trial Angelina County's 217th Judicial District Court. The Hudson Police Department charged Nash with child abandonment because she allegedly left her 13-year-old son at a baseball park in march 2011 with no intention of returning to pick him up.

However, the defense argued that Nash did have intent to return because she returned home to her residence between 10:30 and 11 p.m. that night. Nash's residence is across from the baseball park.

"He could've walked home across the street, but no one was home, and he would've had to cook for himself," the boy's uncle said on the stand. "I went to check on him because I was concerned; I knew her situation and what was going on, so I just was concerned about him."

The uncle said because it was the first time Nash admitted that she was on drugs, he was concerned about his nephew.

"This was the first time Stephanie admitted she was on drugs, so I was concerned about him," the uncle said during his testimony. "She's never admitted to it before."

Later, the boy's uncle claimed he saw Nash coming back home when he was taking the boy to his house from the ball park. He said Nash texted his wife (her sister) to make sure they had her son.

Bryant was last arrested in November 2011. According to the police report, Bryant allegedly approached an out-of-uniform Lufkin Police officer in the 400 block of Locke Street and discussed exchanging money for sexual acts.

After a uniformed officer arrived on the scene, Bryant was searched and allegedly found to be in possession of a crack pipe, less than a gram of crack cocaine, eight Seroquel pills, and one Metronidazole pill.

Bryant was arrested at the scene and charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of a dangerous drug.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.