LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - An Angelina County jury found a 37-year-old Lufkin man guilty of arson causing serious bodily injury Friday for causing his house to catch fire while he was cooking methamphetamine.
After a pre-sentencing investigation, an Angelina County judicial district judge will issue Jason Dewayne Nash's sentence.
Officials say Jason Nash of Lufkin was inside the home along with two other residents when the fire started.
According to Arson Investigator, Steve McCool, of the Lufkin Fire Department, Nash said he was inside the home making meth. Nash was mixing flammable liquids on the washing machine, and some of the liquid spilled onto the floor. Nash said the spill startled him, causing him to accidentally drop a lit cigarette out of his mouth onto the floor.
The cigarette caused the liquid he spilled to catch on fire. The fire began spreading quickly, forcing Nash to escape the house through the bedroom window along with the other two residents.
Nash was booked into the Angelina County Jail on April 17, 2012 on a charge of arson with manufacture or attempt to manufacture a controlled substance causing bodily injury or death, which is a third degree felony. He posted a bail of $5,000, and was released the next day.