Lufkin apartment complex evacuated after gas leak

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - According to Jeff McReynolds with the Lufkin Fire Department, residents of a Lufkin apartment complex were evacuated following a report of a gas leak. Construction workers for Pioneer Crossing apartments were digging an electric line and hit a major gas feed.

Natural gas leaked from the feed and residents from three surrounding buildings were evacuated for about an hour.

No one was hurt.

Two engines from the Lufkin Fire Department and Center Point Energy were on scene around 4:45 p.m. to fix the leak.

Around 5:30 p.m. all buildings were cleared with a gas detecting monitor and all residents were allowed back in their apartments.

Four apartments were without gas for about an hour.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.