Construction site collapses, sends four ETX men to the hospital - | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Construction site collapses, sends four ETX men to the hospital


Four men are now out of the hospital after a construction site came crashing down on top of them.

The accident happened around 8:00 a.m. Friday morning off of State Highway 154 near I-30 in Sulphur Springs.

"We heard the crack and looked up. It started coming down," said Bobby Woodard, one of the construction workers.

Woodard, his brother, uncle and a fellow co-worker were all working directly under the structure when it started to cave.

"We all tried to come out from under it. I got about 10 feet from the edge of it and it come down on me," Woodard explained.

Woodard's cousin was working next door when he heard it come down.

"A lot of cracks is all I heard, pops basically, the wood popping. I didn't think anything of it because I was like, 'Oh, they're just working', but then the guy came over and started pounding on the door to call 911," said Josh McPherson.

He called 911 and then ran to the site to search for family.

"I mean, the only thing that came into my head was, 'Where is my dad?' He was pinned under all the construction and everything. He was just saying, 'I don't know how that happened'. That's all he could say," explained McPherson.

All four men were taken by ambulance to Hopkins County Memorial Hospital in Sulphur Springs.

The doctor said initially, he thought at least two of the patients would have life-threatening injuries because heard they were pinned under scaffolding and wooden material.

He said the men took quite a beating, but fortunately their injuries weren't as serious as he was expecting.

McPherson's father, who had been pinned under the rubble, will not be back at work anytime soon.

"Pretty good fracture of the vertebral spine, which is the major weight bearing structure in your body to support you. If you disrupt the integrity of it, it can certainly cause a lot of severe pain," said Dr. Patrick Daus, the emergency room attending physician at Hopkins County Memorial Hospital.

As for the others, the doctor said they have some fractures and contusions, but nothing life-threatening.

"Very lucky, but we're very happy they've come through quite well," said Dr. Daus.

"I thank God because that was a lot of weight coming down on top of us," Woodard said.

As these men recover at home, their families ask just one thing:

"Just your thoughts and prayers would be wonderful," McPherson said.

The general contractor is calling this a "freak accident." He said the fire department and the city both tried to determine what caused the structure to collapse and although they do have a few different ideas, they cannot confirm what actually caused this accident. They are not looking to investigate any further.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly