Groveton man pleads guilty to stabbing at Lufkin Lanes

Brian Kelley (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Brian Kelley (Source: Angelina County Jail)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A 26-year-old Groveton man pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in connection to a 2012 stabbing at the Lufkin Lanes bowling alley.

After a pre-sentencing investigation, an Angelina County judge will issue Brian Keith Kelley's sentence.

Officers with the Live Oak Police Department arrested Kelley on May 1, 2012, and charged him with aggravated assault.

According to Lufkin Police spokesman Det. J.B. Smith, the Trinity County Sheriff's Office is to credit for the arrest. Smith said police requested the office locate and arrest Kelley after believing he was there. However, the office linked Kelley to an address in Live Oak. Live Oak Police arrested him shortly thereafter.

Police requested the warrant following the investigation to an April 21 encounter between two groups of people which ended in William Chunn being stabbed in the throat.

According to the police report, officers were dispatched to a disturbance involving a stabbing in the 900 block of South Chestnut Street around midnight, Saturday, April 21. While en route to the scene, officers were advised that possible gunshots had been fired. When they arrived on the scene, officers were told the suspects had just left the scene. The vehicle described to officers was located by another responding officer just a short distance away, and it was stopped.

Inside the bowling alley, officers found the victim with an apparent stab wound to the neck. Officers secured the scene, and the victim was transported to Woodland Heights Hospital by Lufkin Fire Department EMS.

Officers gathered from victim and witness statements at the scene that an argument erupted between two groups of intoxicated people over a racial comment that was made by someone in one of the groups. The verbal argument escalated into a physical altercation out in the parking lot. Officers say it was reported that it took everyone several seconds to realize that the victim had been stabbed to the front left of his throat during the confrontation.

Preliminary investigation at the scene revealed that a handgun had been displayed after the stabbing had been discovered. However, no shots were fired.

At the time of report, the victim was to taken by Life Flight to Hermann Hospital in Houston. The two people in the vehicle, that were stopped leaving the scene, are believed to be suspects involved in this incident. They were both arrested on unrelated charges. The case is being investigated by detectives and further information will be released pending that investigation.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.