LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Judge Paul White of Angelina County's 159th Judicial District Court sentenced a 37-year-old Lufkin man to a two-year sentence in the state prison system Monday for causing his house to catch fire while he was cooking methamphetamine.
The Angelina County District Attorney's Office downgraded Jason Dewayne Nash's original charge of arson causing serious bodily injury to a state-jail felony charge of arson on the condition that he will not file any appeals in the future.
On Feb. 15, an Angelina County jury found Nash guilty of the original charge. Nash's sentencing came after a pre-sentencing investigation.
Officials say Nash was inside the home along with two other residents when the fire started.
According to Arson Investigator, Steve McCool, of the Lufkin Fire Department, Nash said he was inside the home making meth. Nash was mixing flammable liquids on the washing machine, and some of the liquid spilled onto the floor. Nash said the spill startled him, causing him to accidentally drop a lit cigarette out of his mouth onto the floor.
The cigarette caused the liquid he spilled to catch on fire. The fire began spreading quickly, forcing Nash to escape the house through the bedroom window along with the other two residents.
Nash was booked into the Angelina County Jail on April 17, 2012 on a charge of arson with manufacture or attempt to manufacture a controlled substance causing bodily injury or death, which is a third degree felony. He posted a bail of $5,000, and was released the next day.