House Fire Update: Fire Marshall rules fire unattended cooking - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

House Fire Update: Fire Marshall rules fire unattended cooking

Posted: Updated:
LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

A house fire in the 100 block of castlewood has been ruled as unattended cooking.

Lufkin Fire Marshall, Steve McCool said in a phone interview with the East Texas news this afternoon that it appears that the electric stove in the house was accidentally turned on. There is believed to have been a pan of grease  on the stove which caught fire and spread.

At this time, it is believed that the fire was unintentional.

Lufkin firefighters were called out to the fire around 8:33 A.M.

Flames could be seen coming out of windows and smoke coming out of rooms of the house.

Tiffany Jackson lived in the home with her two children. Jackson was out of the house at the time. 

"It's my understanding that the fire started in the kitchen. I was out of the house at the time. I had taken my kids to school and get something to eat. When I got back, I could see smoke coming out of the back," said Jackson.

Jackson said that at first she thought that someone was burning leaves in the house behind hers, so she went to go in the house.

"I opened the door and all the smoke came out, so I went next door to call 911," Jackson said.

During the blaze,Lufkin Police blocked off Pershing Drive to all inbound traffic but had it open by 10 A.M.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo

KTRE

358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
publicfile@ktre.com
936-853-8639
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.