LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin firefighters battled a house fire at a residence in the 400 block of Lufkin's Everet Lane early Sunday morning. Although the family managed to escape, they were left with little more than the clothes on their backs, and the house was a total loss.
Steve McCool, Lufkin's city fire marshal, said crews from the Lufkin Fire Department responded to the blaze at approximately 2:57 a.m. Sunday morning. When they arrived on the scene, the house was "fully involved."
Three people were in the home when the fire started. However, the couple's 24-year-old son woke them up and got them out of the house. The woman was taken to a Lufkin hospital, treated for smoke inhalation, and later released.
The flames from the burning house got hot enough that four vehicles parked near the residence were either damaged or completely destroyed.
McCool said the fire is not suspicious in nature. Although fire investigators have been able to determine that the fire started in a secondary bedroom next to the laundry room, they have found the source of ignition for the fire.
The family members have been in contact with the Lufkin branch of the American Red Cross in regard to possible assistance in the wake of the fire.