Fire leaves ETX home in rubble - | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Fire leaves ETX home in rubble


A vacant home is left in rubble after an afternoon fire.

The fire started around 3:15 p.m. on Saturday off of 135 South in Overton.

The property owner's family tells us the home has been vacant for fifteen or more years.

Fortunately, firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes.

The Smith County Fire Marshal believes the fire may have started from neighbors burning trash.

He said he has responded to several fires over the holiday weekend that started the exact same way.

"People don't realize how quickly things will catch fire and burn. They will set a pile of brush on fire and not adequately clean out around that brush, and the pile just takes off through the grass and they are unable to control it," said Smith County Fire Marshal Oren Hale.

Hale wants to remind East Texans to make sure to have some way to extinguish a fire if they plan on burning, and to never leave a fire unattended.

Fortunately, no one was injured in Saturday's fire.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly