Nacogdoches FD: Fire which injured 2 caused by motorized chair - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Nacogdoches FD: Fire which injured 2 women caused by motorized chair

NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) -

Investigators have determined a June fire which seriously injured an elderly woman and her daughter in Nacogdoches was started with a battery-powered electric chair.

Mattie Coleman, 82, and her daughter, Sharon Teal, 62, were injured in the fire. Teal was burned and overcome by smoke while trying to rescue Coleman from a rear bedroom in the home. Teal has been released from the hospital but Coleman remains in a burn unit at a Dallas hospital.

Fire Chief Keith Kiplinger said investigators determined the fire originated in a front bedroom of the house, located on Georgia Oak Street, and at the rear of a motorized chair. The chair was plugged in and the fire started in or around the charging system at the rear of the chair and quickly spread to combustible materials in the room, Kiplinger said.

The fire partially destroyed the house.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly