HEMPHILL, TX (KTRE) - One week from today, an East Texas town will go dark for two hours.
Half the City of Hemphill will be without power from 6 a.m. until 8 a.m. Wednesday, July 31.
The outage is planned so crews with the city's electrical department can safely work on installing new wiring that will help with the electric demand by customers inside the city.
Officials say even though it might be inconvenient, the outage is needed.
"It's for safety purposes," said Cecil Mott, an electrician with the city. "When we are doing this it would take us all probably all day long do something it would take me an hour to do if I can get the power down. The potential for power diminishes about 95 percent."
This should be the only time power is going to have to be turned off for the project.
Below is a list of the affected areas:
• Hwy 184 up to Market Street
•West Arnold Street
•Italy Road and all side streets off of Italy Road
• Hwy83 extending from Hwy 87 to Sabine County Hospital and Hemphill Care Center andsurrounding areas
• Hwy1175 and East Mayfield Community
• Hwy87 starting at intersection of Hwy 87 & Hwy 83 including the First BaptistChurch
• Allof Hwy 87 South and joining roads
• Allof FM 944 and joining roads
• Allbusiness meters on the South Side of the Courthouse Square including part ofthe Courthouse and the Post Office.