Fire destroy Sayers Street house - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Breaking

Fire destroy Sayers Street house

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

A young mother said she has lost everything after a fire ripped through her home this morning.

It happened around 9:45 a.m. in the 1400 block of Sayers Street in Lufkin. The mother told East Texas News she had just enough time to get her and her kids out of the house unharmed but wasn't able to save anything else.

Sheila Moreno says she got an alarming wake up call this morning.

"We were both asleep when I got the call," Moreno said. "She said she was on the couch sleeping and her kids woke her up, and they said the house is on fire!"

Shocked and scared, Moreno rushed to her daughter's house on Sayers Street. That's when she found her daughter Katrina Poole and her kids waiting across the street and watching nearly 20 firefighters try to contain sky-high flames.

"The house was fully engulfed with flames," Moreno said. "I don't know what started it or what happened."

Poole didn't want to go on camera, but told me she didn't have enough time to grab anything, saying she doesn't know what to do.

"Cause she's lost everything and she'll have to start over," Moreno said.

Moreno has dealt with a house fire, so she knows what her daughter is going through.

"I'm a little nervous cause I've been there," Moreno said. "I had a fire myself, so I know how it feels."

It's a feeling that Poole said she can't even begin to explain.

It took firefighters almost an hour to contain the fire, which left nothing except the charred remains of the house's frame.

Capt. Ozzie Jarmin, an assistant fire marshal for the Lufkin Fire Department, said they still don't know how the fire started.

"We're waiting for them to get the fire completely out and get it safe for us investigators to go in, and once it's safe to go in, we'll go inside and start determining the origin of the cause of the fire," Jarmin said.

Poole said she was renting the house and didn't have renter's insurance. She said all they have left is the clothes on their back.

If you would like to donate to the Poole family, contact Charlotte Williams at (9936) 404-8117 or Sheila Moreno at (9936) 671-0212.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly