CENTER, TX (KTRE) - A state fire marshal's investigation into a June 6 house fire that killed a Center couple revealed that there was no foul play involved in the cause of the blaze.
Center Fire Chief Keith Byrndom said the state fire marshal's preliminary conclusion is that a cigarette ignited the oxygen in one of the O2 tanks found in the home.
Byrndom said the fire marshal based that conclusion on the fact that Glennn Rasbury, 81, and Susan Rasbury, 51 both smoked. In addition, witnesses said they heard a loud boom before the fire started at the Rasbury's mobile home, which was located off of FM 2026.
The fire completely gutted the mobile home, and left it a blackened shell.
A neighbor called the fire in at 5:30 a.m. Blackwell said it is believed the fire had been burning for several hours.
"Once we got there, the house was pretty much gone. A little bit in, we were told there was a possibility of possible victims. Later on at the scene we did discover two victims," Center Fire Inspector David Lawerence said in a previous East Texas News story.
Susan Rasbury had been confined to a wheelchair, and Glennn Rasbury used O2 tanks to breathe.