LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Mirroring the state jobless numbers, Angelina and Nacogdoches counties saw an improvement in their August jobless rates, compared to July.
Statewide, the unemployment rate was 6.3, which was down from the 6.7 percent reported in July. In the 12-county Deep East Texas Workforce Development Area was 7.7 percent, compared to the 8.2 percent reported in July.Angelina County went from 6.8 percent in July to 6.3 percent in August. In Angelina County, 37,255 people from a workforce of 39,768 were employed in August. The county also had a 6.8 percent jobless rate in August 2012.
Lufkin's jobless rate improved from 7.1 percent in July to 6.6 percent in August. The city had an available workforce of 16,055, and 14,988 of that number were employed in the month of August. In August 2012, Lufkin's jobless rate 6.8 percent.
Nacogdoches County also showed signs of an improving local economy. Of the county's available workforce of 29,902, 27,900 were employed in the month of August. Nacogdoches County posted a 6.8 percent jobless rate in August 2012.
The City of Nacogdoches' unemployment rate of 7.1 is exactly the same rate reported in August 2012. A total of 14,471 people from an available workforce of 15,573 were employed in the month of August.
Here are the jobless rates for the other 10 counties in the Deep East Texas WDA. The July numbers are in parentheses.
- Houston County - 8.6 percent (9.3 percent)
- Jasper County- 9.5 percent (10.1 percent)
- Newton County - 11.1 percent (11.5 percent)
- Polk County - 7.9 percent (8.3 percent0
- Sabine County - 14.3 percent (14.3 percent)
- San Augustine County - 10.2 percent (10.5 percent)
- San Jacinto County - 7.3 percent (7.8 percent)
- Shelby County 6.9 percent (7.0 percent)
- Trinity County - 7.0 percent (7.6 percent)
- Tyler County 9.8 percent (10.2 percent)